(A peanut butter alternative)
WHAT IS IT: Homemade sunbutter with 3 ingredients in 5 minutes! No nasty oils, chemicals, preservatives or refined sugars! This is our favorite peanut butter replacement.
WHY MAKE SUNBUTTER: Peanuts are actually legumes and not so great for our digestive systems. Nut butters are a great alternative but can be costly and heavy to digest. That’s why we LOVE this seed butter made from sunflower seeds. It’s lighter and creamier than most nut butters and tastes better (in our humble opinion.) 🙂 Using sprouted sunflower seeds is also another way of easing digestion, removing the gut-irritating enzyme inhibitor (phytic acid). If you can’t find sprouted sunflower seeds, make your own batch of phytic-acid-free seeds.
SPROUTING YOUR OWN SEEDS:
- Find raw, organic sunflower seeds.
- To sprout: Soak for 18 hours in filter water, changing the water 2 times, until a tail sprouts.
To salt soak: Soak for 18 hours in filtered water + sea salt. Rinse thoroughly.
- Dehydrate your seeds at a low temperature.
- Roast in the oven on a cookie sheet at 300º for 15-20 min. (If they are not fully dehydrated, double the time of roasting.) Taste frequently for toasted preference.
ALL YOU NEED:
RECIPE FOR SUCCESS:
- In DRY Vitamix container, add 2 cups of Sprouted Sunflower Seeds.
- Blend on LOW until evenly chopped.
- Increase speed to HIGH, using the short Vitamix tamper to scrape sides.
- Add Raw Honey.
- Add melted Coconut Oil until desired consistency is reached.
- Scrap from Vitamix container and store in an airtight mason jar in the pantry.
WATCH AND LEARN: